I am having a Harry Potter marathon party this weekend in preparation for my trip to Florida and Universal Studios in October so I am making mountains of Harry Potter sweets and treats from scratch. Sadly every frog mold I could find online cost a fortune so I had to buy official, more expensive, chocolate frogs from the shop. On the plus side, it means that I get actual chocolate frog cards for my party. Bertie Botts Every Flavour Beans also had to be bought. I’m a good cook but not good enough to make vomit flavoured jelly beans.
I thought I would share my recipe for Butterbeer so you can make it at home for your own Harry Potter themed party or simply for the moments when you feel like having a tankard.
I will be using American measurements because I’m too lazy to be bothered with scales.
The recipe will make 4 servings.
You will need:
1 cup of brown sugar
4 tablespoons of butter
3/4 cup of heavy cream.
1/2 teaspoon of salt
How to put it all together:
- In a small saucepan mix the brown sugar with 2 tablespoons of water and bring it to a gentle boil. After a minute of cooking take it off the heat.
- Add the butter, salt and 1/4 cup of the heavy cream. Stir until the mixture is smooth.
- Leave the mixture to cool down to room temperature.
- Once it is cool mix together the remaining cream and the butter/sugar mixture
- To serve add 1/4 cup of the mixture to a glass and fill the rest of the glass with cream soda. It might need a stir to get it to combine fully.
To make your butterbeer alcoholic add butterscotch schnapps.
I have made this a few times and it always turns out delicious. I shall warn you that it is prone to being very foamy so add the cream soda slowly, unless you want butterbeer all over your kitchen counter.
I might upload a few photographs of my Harry Potter weekend. I will be going in costume as Tonks (Dont call me Nymphadora) and it should be a lot of fun spending two days watching all eight Harry Potter films. Do you think I should do more food related posts like this one? Maybe cauldron cakes next time? Or acid pops?